Hand Sorter 1st Shift
Company: Nichols Farms
Posted on: July 31, 2022
Job DescriptionPOSITION SUMMARY:The Sorter position also known
as a Hand sorter is a motivated and hands on team member who is
responsible for supporting and contributing to the Hand Sort and
Processing Team. The Hand sorter may assist the RTE department to
relieve and work with the RTE Packers and or other departments when
needed. The Hand Sorter abides by environment and mandatory quality
requirements for handsort, equipment, and facilities in accordance
with the company's policies, OSHA regulations and applicable laws.
Ensure Food Safety System are adhered to in all processes. May
assign staff to clean/sanitize handsort lines, equipment cleaning
tools, chemical handling, and room upkeep. Safety Ability: Promote
a "safety first" culture by following all safety rules (including
Lockout/Tag out, Confined Space, Fall Protection and Hazard
Communication). Report all near misses, Injuries, and documentation
of incidents to Shift Supervisor/Production Supervisor/LeadsQuality
Ability: Perform all duties in accordance with Quality and GMP
(Good Manufacturing Practices) established company policies and
procedures.Continuous Improvement: Responsible for Active
participation in continuous improvement teams and
processesESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:Hand Sorter
- Assists the Supervisor and Hand Sort Lead/Back up as
- Effectively gives shift pass downs, and other information to
fellow employees, supervisors and managers.
- Participates in weekly tailgate meetings and daily
ergonomically fit exercises.
- Performs housekeeping when necessary, of work area.
- Recommends measures to continuously improve handsort methods,
equipment adjustment, and quality.
- Knowledge and willing to learn standards in the range of GMPs,
SSOPs and objectives and ensure department employees are trained to
perform their assigned duties.
- Proper handling of equipment, Practice of safety in re:
(injuries, sicknesses, and proper apparel) for wear.
- Informs area supervisor/lead/back up of maintenance issues
- Knowledge and able to learn or assist new employees and team
members how to correctly sort out defective product from acceptable
- May complete documentation of inventory for chemicals and
cleaning supplies for handsort lockers.
- Awareness or ability to learn chemical usage procedures.
- May verify log sheets for product consumption.
- Awareness or knowledge of chemical labels and SDS sheets and
- Perform other tasks and special projects as assigned.
- Report all near misses, Injuries, and documentation of
incidents to Shift Supervisor or Lead/back up lead.
- Maintain employee light duty capabilities when necessary.
- Support and participate in ERP, Continuous Improvement Teams
and Lean initiatives.
POSITION REQUIREMENT AND PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
- Preferably 1 year of experience in food manufacturing
- Position requires standing, sitting, and walking on a regular
basis for prolonged periods.
- Must have manual dexterity to sort out/pack product.
- Ability to work any day and/or shift including weekends and
- Team player and motivational abilities.
- Self-starter requiring limited supervision and desire to work
and promote positive work area.
- Strong communication skills.
- Preferably Bilingual English-Spanish but not required.
- Near vison-ability to see details at close range.
- Ability to continuously use trunk strength-abdominal and lower
back to support repeated bodily movement.
- Ability to wear all PPE required.
- Ability to push/pull/lift 50 lbs. JOB ATTRIBUTES:
- Safety Awareness: Ability to identify and correct conditions
that affect employee safety.
- Leadership: Ability to influence others to perform their jobs
effectively and to be responsible for making decisions
- Time Management: Ability to utilize the available time to
organize and complete work within given deadlines.
- Adaptability: Ability to adapt to change in the workplace.
Capable of functioning in a fast-paced entrepreneurial
- Resource Management (People & Equipment) - Ability to obtain
and appropriate the proper usage of equipment, facilities,
materials, as well as personnel.
- Prioritization: Ability to quickly prioritize among numerous
pressing tasks and manage multiple priorities and deadlines.
- Communication: Excellent verbal and written skills, as well as
ability to make presentations.
- Interpersonal: Ability to effectively build working
- Team Involvement: Works effectively with teams and work groups.
Actively participates in problem solving and interacts with team
and work groups to achieve team and organizational goals.
- Detail-oriented: Attention to detail, and ability to prioritize
and manage multiple tasks.
- Continuous Improvement: Active participant in continuous
improvement initiatives and goals. Seeks opportunities to improve
self and processes.
- Critical Thinking: Use logic and reasoning to identify
strengths and weakness of alternative solutions, conclusions or
approaches to problems.
- Active Learning: Understanding of new information for both
current and future problem solving and decision-making.
- Active Listening: Giving full attention to what other people
are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking
questions as appropriate and not interrupting at inappropriate
- Complex Problem Solving: Identifying complex problems and
reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and
Keywords: Nichols Farms, Hanford , Hand Sorter 1st Shift, Other , Hanford, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!